Saturday, January 12, 2008

GOING HOME

Every trip back home is nostalgic…. A thousand memories come crowding back, popping out from a corner, peeping from behind a half-opened door, looking down from a framed black-and-white photograph… Mubarak Munzil – the rambling bungalow I grew up in – was home, a long time ago, to our seven-member family – my domineering grand-mother, my aloof and strict (as I perceived him then) father, my timid mother, my three siblings and I. There were, of course, a houseful of servants. A cook who called me “gori” and who we called “nani’. A man servant who literally grew up in this house, got married and had several children, who grew up with us. A series of drivers (one who for some strange reason put it into my head that I was an adopted child. Vulnerable and hypersensitive as I was, this thought gnawed at me and troubled me for years). And an assortment of animals: buffaloes, dogs, cats, hens…

There was, I believe, something magical about my home. It was noisy – happily so. There were always people walking in and out of the large rooms. The six-seater dining table was not enough for all of us, so my sister would sit on a baby high chair, years after we had all outgrown it. Summer holidays saw our cousins coming over, spelling more fun. Summers also meant sleeping on the terrace. And there was a whole ritual to it. We would lug up buckets of water to the terrace and splash it, to cool the terrace. Once it dried up, the beds were neatly rolled out. My dad who loved to read, and passed on his passion to all of us, had even set up a reading lamp, so we could cuddle up with our favourite books and read till sleep claimed us. Many were the nights we’d lie on our backs, gazing at the stars and counting the planes that flew across the night sky. Sometimes the sky would open up and big, fat drops of rain would drench us. We would quickly throw down the pillows and sheets into the courtyard and run giggling to complete our interrupted sleep indoors. I remember once when my little nephew was sleeping on the terrace with us. “What will happen if it rains?” he asked innocently. My sister, always ready for some mischief, said “You’ll shrink”. I can never forget the expression on his terror-stricken face!

There was no TV in Bellary when we were growing up, but we were never, ever bored. We spent hours playing hop scotch, seven stones, four houses, dark room and dozens of games we invented ourselves. Friends and their cousins were always in our home or we were in theirs. We laughed. We talked. We dreamed. We planned. We went on picnics. Had moonlight dinner parties on the terrace. Went around playing pranks and scaring neighbours. We climbed the gulmohur trees that grew close to the compound wall. Then, as we grew older, we sat with our cups of steaming coffee in the verandah and gazed at the purple hills in the horizon, through the leaves of the neem tree. Today, the gulmohur trees have been uprooted. The neem trees are still there but the purple hills are no longer visible. Hidden from view, first by the other houses, and now by a raised compound wall.

Today when I walk through the silent rooms of my home, memories are all I have. The girls married and moved away. My brother made his life thousands of miles away in the USA. And after my dad’s death in July 2006, my mother lives all alone in a house that was once filled with voices, music and laughter. Trips home these days are always disturbing. Cobwebbed corners, dusty shelves where once books nudged each other, empty spaces filled with an aching loneliness… my house seems sad. Almost like an old, past-her-prime diva who knows that her ‘golden period’ is gone forever.

Like me, my house seems to know that memories are all it has.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know Nahida. Thats vhow I would like to remember Mubarak Manzil as a friends who visited and sat watching the purple hills.
Some more memories I have...A confused tubby who never knew if he was loved or hated by you, 'Bodi' who always drew extra attention with her over dramatic statements. And I can never NOT associate Mubarak Manzi with khichdi khaima and biriyani

Unknown said...

That was beautiful Nahida. Brought tears into my eyes. Maybe because my childhood resembles so much like yours. Just the same story... moonlight dinners, sleeping on the terrace, growing up without a TV, climbing trees... everything is so much similar. I didn't know we had so much in comman!

Humour runs in your family too! I can imagine the terror on your nephew's face at the thought of getting shrunk!!!

Thank you for bringing back memories to me albeit not in a way it would seem.

God Bless!

Nahida Sunil said...

You are right, who can forget Bodi. She was at Mubarak Munzil before all of us... came as a child when my grandfather was alive and therefore felt that she could lord it upon all of us, including Dad! You areright kichdi-kheem and biryani are an integral part of the Mubarak Munzil memories. In fact, this time when I went that was on the menu the very first day and mom was horrified that I refused to eat it :). But somehow it never tastes the way it used to before!

Nahida Sunil said...

Glad you liked the entry Pooja. Life really was so wonderful then, wasn't it? Guess we are getting old... talking always about the "good old days"!

Anonymous said...

Oh Nahida,
That really tugged my heart-strings. Sigh. Home is where the home is. That will never change.

I could relate with that so much. It reminded when I had gone back to my home in Dubai. Our little 2 bedroom apartment in Al Mutawi Building. It was never ours, in the sense we never owned it. But spent years and years there. I remember the time when me and Ali would run around with water pistols on the terrace. The time when our cousins would sleep over and we'd spend the whole night playing monopoly. Hasnain (or was it Kazim) would always cheat! But half an hour later it didn't matter. Because we all would be raiding the fridge munching on leftovers of dinner while our parents were asleep.

I went up to my little Al-Mutawi. Climbed up the second floor. Went up to Apartment number 205. I dared not ring the doorbell. There was someone else living there. I just walked back. Sat on the staircase and bawled out. Tears streaming away. Don't know why. There was nothing to be sad about or happy about. But oh, the Nostalgia. It totally overcame me.

Nahida, you've lost your father fairly recently. I didn't know. Although late, but do accept my sincere condolences. Will certainly remember him in our duas.

Nahida Sunil said...

Thanks Arif. I can undertsand your sentiments perfectly... I have written a tribute to my father on this blog. Maybe you can read it sometime. And yes, do remember him in your prayers. May Allah grant him jannatul-firdous.

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

Hello Maa'm,
I had been there for 6 months as Copywriter. The year was 2004. And once when I was there I met your parents. Sad that he's no more around...

Anonymous said...

This is simply beautiful Nadu. Reminds me of all the stories mum and Nashi have told us. :)

Nahida Sunil said...

Hi Niiku! How wonderful, wonderful to see you here!!! Am so glad you liked the post. There are really so many, many memories of Mubarak Munzil.... I'll need to write a book to cover them all. I have such beautiful memories of you and Tanu too. I remember so well the day I heard you were born and how I felt when I heard the news. I had just come back from the Madras Railway Station after seeing Azra and Javed off... they were going to Kurnool for their Valima. As soon as we got back Mahfuz Mamu told us that Apa had a baby girl. I just couldn't stop smiling!!! I can't tell you how happy I was. I have a diary entry that captures my emotions. Insha'Allah I will share it with you some time.

Another memory I have is of you in and red and white striped nighty... do you remember it? When you stayed sometimes at Mubarak Munzil, and I would be having coffee in the mornings in the veranda you would come and sit astride on my outstretched legs and I would bounce you up and down to the poem: "This is the way farmers ride...."

Those really were such beautiful days...!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

This is my first visit here, but I will be back soon, because I really like the way you are writing, it is so simple and honest

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

Anonymous said...

Nadu - This is bitter sweet article ! Lots of wonderful childhood memories. Being carted off to a boarding school after my 7th grade, I spent less time at home but the feelings are still the same.
Now that I am a father, I realize how hard it must have been for Ammi and Abba to drop me off at the Cantonement or Main Railway station and say their goodbyes. I was often gone for several months at a time.
It is sad to see the home without the hulabaloo but my dream is that one day for all of us old and doddering siblings to live back in Mubarak Munzil :)
Your little Brother!